Naomi M. Barry-Pérez will give the 2020 Elmer B. Staats Lecture during the 2020 Academy Fall Meeting of NAPA. She has served as the Director of Civil Rights for the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and a member of the Senior Executive Service (SES) since 2012.
Significant accomplishments include:
- In 2016, published, as a final rule, implementing regulations for Section 188 of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). These revised regulations contain substantive changes necessary to address developments in equal opportunity and nondiscrimination jurisprudence since 1999. Additionally, procedures and processes for enforcement of the nondiscrimination provisions had not been revised to reflect changes in the practices of recipients since 1999, including the use of computer-based and internet-based systems to provide aid, benefits, services, and training through WIOA Title I-financially assisted programs and activities.
- Established a Reasonable Accommodation Resource Center (RARC), a onestop shop that assists the Department to research, test, procure, implement and monitor reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities.
- Steered effort to advance an awareness of the rights of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) individuals within DOL programs and activities, which resulted in issuance of comprehensive policy statements and actions.
- Dedicated robust efforts to assessment and reconstitution of CRC's Office of External Enforcement (OEE), which enforces nondiscrimination and equal opportunity laws among recipients of federal financial assistance from the Department of Labor.
- In 2013, revised a major federal program’s Policy and Requirements Handbook that updates the policies and procedures to ensure equal access and opportunity for pregnant applicants and students.
- In 2017, participated as one of 35 women from across the world in conference in Geneva, Switzerland on Women in Public Service convened by the Woodrow Wilson Center.
- In 2017, elected as a Fellow to the National Academy of Public Administration